What is considered an unofficial release?
2 months ago
Russia

Recently I got back to speedrunning Puzzles and recorded a speedrun for submission. Eventually it got rejected and the reason was "unofficial game release". So I had a question, what is considered to be an unofficial release specifically? As far as I understand in my case it's the Russian version of the game but the thing is I'd submitted runs on the same version of the game before in the years 2020-2021 (Beghouled, Seeing Stars).

Another question arises from the fact that multiple speedrunners are using a non-game-of-the-year edition with no achievements and Zombatar while having Michael Jackson as the dancer zombie additionally, which also affects his speed, yet the Steam version for me includes a game of the year edition by default with a dancer zombies re-skin. So is it allowed to use a non-Steam version in general or is it possible to switch to an older version of the game on Steam?

Thank you in advance.

Kazakhstan

Perhaps your previous runs were verified because they looked like a valid versions of the game. This time a model of a dancer zombie gave away some mods. It is smaller than usual. Even for a non GOTY version.

It is allowed to use any official version of the game. But you can't switch it on Steam. You have to install other versions separately.

Edited by the author 2 months ago
Russia

Okay, thank you very much! I'll play some other version which would fit the requirements in my future runs.